Gotcha. But even without the FS, the point still stands that fleetships have gotten oodles and oodles of expansion while we still have the same starships.
I'm not sure we're thinking about the same things:
- I don't know if any were added after 1.0, but before TZR there were 29 fleet ship types (incuding scout/fighter/bomber/missile-frigate)
- TZR added 14 fleet ship types
- CoN added 5 fleet ship types
- LotS added 9 fleet ship types
- So from 29 to 57, just shy of a 100% increase.
- Before TZR there were 4 starship lines that are still with us (fleet, raid, leech, scout; leaving out the dreadnought since it's long-gone in terms of mechanics)
- The Cloaker Starship was added in TZR (not counting the warbird or beam since they're fabricator based)
- The Riot Control Starship was added after TZR (to base game)
- The Neinzul Enclave Starship was added in CoN
- The Bomber Starship was made available at the Starship Constructor after CoN
- The Plasma Siege Starship is very much a new unit in terms of its attack mechanic
- So from 4 to 9 (or 5 to 9 if you don't count the dread->plasma thing), a similar percentage increase.
Of course, there are lies and there are statistics
But in general I don't think the starships have lagged behind all that much. Some stat adjustment is still in order (I've focused mainly on bonus fleet types since you only have limited control over what an ARS grants you), and the enclave starship is in fairly desparate need of an overhaul, but I'm not seeing a need for radical changes/additions to how you get starships, etc.