Based on both my own experiance and feedback on the forums, I have decided to list a few big* the game issues regarding balance, flow, pacing, and "fun factor"
*big as in number of things it touches in the game, not necessarily severity, though nothing here is a quick fix
I would like to point out that although these issues are not minor, they are not big enough to really start crippling the fun of the game. 5.032 (the latest version as of this writing) is a very solid version, and the "good" of the current balance vastly outweights the bad.
Please do NOT discuss how to fix individual issues here. Post in its relevant topic or make a new topic for this.
Please do mention things that could be added.
Also, I have NOT attributed the the original person who posted the idea, nor have dug through to find the relevant topic for each of these. If these are worked on, the original author of the idea will need to be found and creditied. I am mostly just listing.
Not everything listed here (in either list) will nessecarily require any changes, but it seems that there is enough commentary by the community to at least look at every point.
Things that could feasibly be worked on before AI War becomes the focus again:
- Starship rebalance (notably, cap usefulness normalization and knowledge costs)
- Guard post rebalance (which includes core guard posts)
- Guardian rebalance
- Golem rebalance (mostly durability issues and multiplayer/multi-HW numeric scaling)
- Warhead rebalance
- Fleet ship rebalance (nearly done actually)
- Capturable rebalance (Z reserves, Z resources deposits, captive human settlements, et al)
- Harvester and econ station rebalance
- AI "stalking at wormhole" behavior review
- AI retreating behavior review
- New AI "homeworld is under attack" behaviors
- Ability to turn off hybrid hive "plot interactions"
Things that are pervasive or tricky enough that they will probably have to wait until AI War becomes the focus again:
- Armor system revision and rebalance
- Energy system revision and rebalance
- Make every fleet ship "feel" distinct
- Turret rebalance and possible system revision (due to the complexities of keeping turrets balanced for single chokepoint setups, multi-chokepoint setups, and beacheads all at the same time, this is here instead of the category above)
- Minor faction rebalance
- Spirecraft rebalance
- New hybrid hive "plot interactions" (too limited in scope to be here?)
- New "plot interactions" in general (too limited in scope to be here?)
- Add more variety in the fallen spire campaign segments (to reduce the feeling of "grind")
- Dealing with the HP and damage "inflation" (You could basically divide all damages, armor, and max HP by 100 and barely impact the game and rarely find anything low enough to start running into rounding error)
- Better rewards for "guerrilla warfare tactics" (which implies revising how AI alertness is triggered, and also better advertising that guerrilla warfare can work well)
- UI work (make it more intuitive, incorporate improvements found during UI work on AVWW, and most importantly, FIX UI BUGS!)
- Re-evaluate overall flow and pacing (broad enough subject that I can't break it down much further, but of particular interest is the mid game, its too easy to play in such a way such that the mid game becomes grindy, and ways to play such that it doesn't aren't advertised well enough)