The latest beta is available via the Updates window in version 3.060 or greater of the game. Just open the game and you can quickly download the prerelease through the updates tab. If you don't yet have 3.060 or greater, you can download 3.060 here
. This prerelease version is compatible with any vendor's version of the game -- Steam, Impulse, whatever.Note:
If you have bug reports related to this release, please
log them in the bug reports
subforum with one bug per topic. It makes things infinitely easier for us. Thanks!Looking for a Patch That Can Be Manually-Installed?
Because of the time involved in creating multiple versions of each patch, we only create manually-installable patches for official versions of the game, not each beta prerelease. But you can easily create your own manually-installable beta patch! Please note that current betas can only be successfully applied to version 3.060
of the game or later (if you later wish to revert to the official version for any reason, you can download the full raw files from the above link to do so).
To create your own manual beta patch, simply download these two files:
1. Current Beta Director Xml File
2. Current Beta Zip File
If you try to open that zip file, it will say it's corrupt -- that's okay, it's not really a zip file. Finally, create a new zip file on your computer, and put both the director and the fake-zip-file inside it. Call your outer zip file something that starts with Beta and ends with an extension of .zip. Beta.zip will work just fine, or you can name it after the specific version number if you want to hang onto it. And that's it! Now you have your very own manually-installable package of the AI War beta version of your choice, which you can install by simply selecting via your Updates window in the game. Please note that "Beta" in the filename is case-sensitive.What's new since 3.172:
(Cumulative release notes since 3.120 are here http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_Current_Beta
* All of the fabricators now use only 5000 energy instead of 10000.
* Fixed bug where units approaching an enemy strong forcefield from the left would pass through and wind up on the right side (and sometimes stop in the middle). The forcefield still stopped their shots, but it was disconcerting.
* The game now randomly selects from all the possible title music tracks (from the base game and any installed expansions) when deciding which title music track to use.
* The first beta of the Children of Neinzul micro-expansion is included in this version.
o The following expansion-only features are included:
+ Starship Class: Neinzul Enclave Starships Mark I-IV.
+ Bonus Ship Type: Neinzul Youngling Commandos Mark I-V.
+ Bonus Ship Type: Neinzul Youngling Tigers Mark I-V.
+ Map Type: X
+ Map Type: Concentric Circles
+ AI Plot: Hybrid Hives
o If you just want the beta update and do not wish to have the expansion features turned on, simply go into the Expansions tab of the Settings screen and disable the expansion. The game will run in demo mode until you've either disabled the new expansion or until you've purchased it, so you can easily demo these new features at no charge if you'd like to do so.
* Fixed a bug where a CPA could quietly not happen at a specific AI tech level and difficulty level.