If you're doing ALL of the following:
1) Running Win7-64bit.
2) Running Kapersky 2010 (or earlier).
3) Trying to run AI War 4.0 (or later)
AI War will fail to start with a "Get thread Context failed" error message.
The specific problem is that when AI War automatically tries to connect to the internet to check for updates , Kapersky takes it down ninja-style.
There are a few ways to deal with the problem:
1) The best solution is to update to Kapersky 2011 (or whatever the most recent version is). They fixed the bug (or feature, if you like AV programs that tackle with enthusiasm) with that version.
2) If you can't/don't-want-to update Kapersky, you can disable AI War's auto-check behavior by opening your settings.dat file (Game folder, RuntimeData subfolder) and changing the line ""AutomaticallyCheckForUpdates:1" to ""AutomaticallyCheckForUpdates:0". This will naturally prevent you from automatically hearing about the new updates through the game, but the updater will still work.
3) Change AV programs. Not suggesting this, though, since it's possible another AV program will have some other set of problems, etc.
If none of this works for you, please let us know so we can help you.
(thanks to Jarhead0331 and Odyvek for providing/confirming most of this information)