Thanks for the feedback, everyone
The Mk. limitation for reclaiming should stay IMO; it keeps a player from "cheesing" the tech tree without climbing the tech tree some themselves.
Actually that was the part I was most keen on dropping, because it puts MkI parasites in a fairly tough position usefulness-wise, or so it seems to me. On a MkIII or MkIV world they're basically just dps ships, and actually interfere with the reclamation efforts of other parasites on the planet. Their dps is actually fairly good, but still.
On the other hand, completely removing it does seem like it would allow excessive cheesing.
As for leech starships, instead of one really powerful shot, maybe instead they could have 3 shots at 1/4 power each. Right now, the leech starship has a bit too much raw DPS.
Also, I'm thinking that due to the high firepower almost all parasites have now (necessary to make them useful) parasites should get a damage penalty to structural and command-station hulls, stuff that almost no reclaimable unit has. This should stop people (and the AI) from using their high base attack power for "bomber supplements"
Thinking about these, the mk-level thing, and other issues that have been brought up, I'm considering something like this:
- Reduce all parasite ship-type base-damage values to 1/8th current value (and make sure they all can punch through most sane forms of armor, at least).
- When shooting at ships of the same mk or lower, they get 8x-for-reclamation-purposes-only. So same parasiting-power as before.
- When shooting at ships 1 mk higher, they only get 4x-for-reclamation-purposes.
- When shooting at ships 2 mks higher, 2x.
- When shooting at ships 3 mks higher, 1x.