The delinquency of the scout starship has been duly noted.
Scout starships have two uses. I'll list the cons first.
1) A team of 6 Scout Is can go further than a team of Scout Starship IIs.
2) For the price, I can spam Scout Is much deeper than than I can place Scout SS IIs.
3) Scout SS IIs cost K, Scout Is don't.
1) Scout 1's block sniper shots. I'm still K Positive
2) Scout 1's are easier to grab for a convoy who needs scouts. Still K positive.
3) Scout IVs are wicked stupid expensive but available from the opening if I deperately need to see into a corner.
Scout starships are not powerful enough unless playing against a sniper AI to have any value, and even then 5 ScoutSS Is with the fleetball is enough.