Okay, this bogged me for a long time, so here I am with a kind of "in depth" analysis of the few troubles around the "Unit Actions Player".
All this is under Mantis http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=11374
but here I hope to start a discussion with other player, in a constructive manner
First of all, I fell in love with how everything is so well crafted and polished in this game, nearly perfect
You really did a good job, my first impressions were all good, from the main menu (and the lyrics) to the ingame graphics, tooltips and menu.
But then, this "Unit Actions" felt soooo UN-FUN to me that after a while I even left the game! This was, as far as I'm concerned, a "show stopper". Too sad!
Then, I did look at how Civilization handle this phase, then get back to Skyward Collapse with clearer ideas, and here I am!
Analysis: I think there is too much click required to get the expected result, like pausing and unclicking auto-follow (or space bar) to see effects of Unit Actions.
Many people did not enjoy the default settings of this phase, see the list bellow:
0011370: [UI] Unit Actions needs a short pause when something interesting happens (to read the popup text)
0011372: [UI] Unit Actions "Auto Start Replay" option
0011216: [Alpha-Suggestions]Make unit movements clearer
0011324: Slower speeds (for newer players)
0011107: Highlight active unit during turn playback in some way?
0011197: Battle Report/Overview
0011334: Replay enhancements, and turn summary
0011103: Suggestions for the Replay sequence at the start of turn
0011337: Turn replay: Not interested in Chapmen
0011235: Can't scroll map in playback mode
0011373: [UI] Unit Actions: enable scrolling during pause while "Auto Follow"
0011187: Unselecting "Skip Civilian" doesn't work for the current turn
0011325: Unit action replay suggestion - go back and view again
0011243: "Animation" Suggestions
Ideas of Solutions:
1) 0011370: add a pause at the end of a Unit Action, if anything interesting happens (like damage dealt/taken, and 0011211: Healthbars on units)
2) 0011324: add a slower 0.5x speed multiplier (or a slower base speed) for newbies
3) 0011372: add a "Auto start replay" option, the default when "Play All" selectted
4) 0011373: [UI] Unit Actions: enable scrolling during pause while "Auto Follow"
5) rethink the UI, no need for a full Pay/Pause double button (one is enough)
6) rethink the default settings for newbies (and perhaps reduce the number of options when this settle)
Hopefully, this will help improve this game to the point it will be fun for anybody
Cheers, and keep on the good job!