|Anonymous | Login | Signup for a new account||May 19, 2013 5:52 pm|
|Main | My View | View Issues | Vote Tallies | FAQ|
|View Issue Details|
|ID||Project||Category||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0009180||AI War||Suggestion - Balance Tweaks||Aug 9, 2012 5:20 pm||Aug 13, 2012 9:21 am|
|Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0009180: Another suggestion on how to tweak Fighters|
|Description||Alright, I've had a couple people ask me to mantis this as it seems to have some support.|
There is a lot of talk about the fighter these days but I am mostly happy with it so my changes are more along the lines of tweaks then any sort of overhaul
I've gone into more detail in the forum thread here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,11320.msg115156.html#msg115156 [^] but to summarize:
1) Move the Swarmer attack multiplier from the Missile Frigate to the Fighter.
2) The fighter is supposed to counter the bomber so increase the fighters attack range so it is equal (or slight more) then the bomber and increase the fighters speed so it is slightly (5% or so) faster then the bomber.
3) Increase the non-polycrystal attack multipliers to 4 to bring the DPS of the fighter to roughly equal the bomber and frigate do when they are attack targets they get bonuses against.
Overall, nothing major but I don't think the fighter needs it. The fighter is designed to kill enemy fleet ships and it is good at that role, it just does not very often get a chance to do so due to how games are currently played.
I've added the other mantis suggestions for fighter changes that I can find as related issues.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Internal Weight||Feature Suggestion|
Aug 9, 2012 5:22 pm
Aug 9, 2012 8:25 pm
edited on: Aug 9, 2012 8:27 pm
I disagree with this solution.
1. It doesn't address the problem of Fighters being nearly useless in waves/on defense.
2. Nerf Frigates in order to buff Fighters? You've got to be kidding me.
3. Increasing the bonuses of the Fighter against hull types that are barely used, and even when they are used, are easily killed?
4. This change does nothing to address to overpowered nature of Bombers, which (in my iteration) was the main reason Fighters needed to be changed.
Since Frigates seem to be in a good place, nerfing Bombers and buffing Fighters to make up the deficit is the best way to balance this, short of an entire hull-type revamp which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
This is a very superficial buff to Fighters to say the least, and a nerf to Frigates to boot.
See my post here:
Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm
Summarizing our discussion from said thread:
I'm reasonably happy where fighters are at the moment, I did not want anything beyond a small buff to fighters.
1)It doesn't address the problem of Fighters being nearly useless in waves/on defense.
Fighters *should* be useless in waves, heavy defenses are supposed to counter fighters.
Fighters are useless on defense? Erm, I *love* fighters on defense and usually have them in play. Turrets steal the spotlight but the fighters are in there.
2) Nerf Frigates in order to buff Fighters? You've got to be kidding me.
This was more a knee-jerk reaction to Frigates have 6 attack bonuses and fighters only having 3. Looking at the ships that have the Swarmer hull type this does not actually matter.
3) Increasing the bonuses of the Fighter against hull types that are barely used, and even when they are used, are easily killed?
Again, really a non-issue now that I've actually looked at what those bonuses affect. (See forum thread for a list.)
4)This change does nothing to address to overpowered nature of Bombers, which (in my iteration) was the main reason Fighters needed to be changed.
Logic: Bombers are overpowered, let's buff fighters.
My response: I disagree, strongly, as I think I've made clear by now.
Again, see the forum thread for a longer response.
Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm
edited on: Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm
Of all the Fighter "solutions", this is the one I can most support. Point # 2 is the biggest issue. I might go a little further actually and tone down Bomber speed and range as well. I'd like to see a 20% speed advantage for Fighters, and I'd probably give Fighters the current Bomber scaling ranges, and reduce Bombers to a flat 4000 at all Marks.
I don't see a need for points # 1 and # 3. I'm much rather try the speed/range change first, and see how things feel after that.
|Only registered users can voice their support. Click here to register, or here to log in.|
|Supporters:||TechSY730 Minotaar Draco18s martyn_van_buren doctorfrog Hearteater Kahuna Faulty Logic|
|Aug 9, 2012 5:20 pm||Dazio||New Issue|
|Aug 9, 2012 5:20 pm||Dazio||Relationship added||related to 0009138|
|Aug 9, 2012 5:22 pm||TechSY730||Note Added: 0027497|
|Aug 9, 2012 5:22 pm||Dazio||Relationship added||related to 0009149|
|Aug 9, 2012 5:23 pm||Dazio||Relationship added||related to 0009122|
|Aug 9, 2012 8:25 pm||Wingflier||Note Added: 0027500|
|Aug 9, 2012 8:27 pm||Wingflier||Note Edited: 0027500||View Revisions|
|Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm||Dazio||Note Added: 0027514|
|Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm||Hearteater||Note Added: 0027516|
|Aug 10, 2012 1:26 pm||Hearteater||Note Edited: 0027516||View Revisions|
|Aug 13, 2012 9:21 am||tigersfan||Internal Weight||=> Feature Suggestion|
|Aug 13, 2012 9:21 am||tigersfan||Status||new => considering|
|Copyright © 2000 - 2011 MantisBT Group|