Part of the challenge is that there's not so much a consensus on what needs to be done as at least two different camps who want very different things from champions. Some want more direct-use abilities and in general more skill-based interaction. Others want less of that, in the sense of just wanting big modular ships to throw around in an otherwise unchanged (or nearly so) game.
Perhaps add in a few more radically different module types?
For example: A control module.
Your options are:Complex Manual Control Module
- Installing this module would allow your ship to install more 'skillshot' modules like aoe damage projectiles, or delayed explosions
- Assuming the player controlled their champion correctly, this module would allow for the most dps
- Most or all of these abilities would not be able to be used without explicit instruction from the player, so unless handled properly, this type of champion would be relatively ineffectiveSimple Manual Control Module
- Installing this module would allow your ship to install some of the micro-intensive modules such as force-fields or instant damage/repair
- This module would require the player to control their champion to reap the full rewards of this module, but most of the abilities/weapons wouldn't require deep thought or planning
- The abilities/weapons would be equally effective in most or all circumstances, but would still require player control to be fully effectiveSimple Automatic Control Module
- Installing this module would allow your ship to install the basic weaponry currently allotted to champions
- This module would not require any player control as all of the modular weapon systems would use the game's current targeting code
- The weapons would be slightly less effective than a well controlled Manual Control
champion, but would be more effective than a poorly controlled Manual Control
I actually haven't played too much with champions because I get too caught up in microing them so I may be totally missing something already implemented.
Lastly, an idea for an ability: A massive magnet. It would work similarly to tractor beams, except allowing other AOE damage to be much more effective since enemy ships would be clustered around the unit using the magnet.